The Ultimate Month by Month Wedding Decorations Checklist
When it comes to the design and décor of your wedding, it can be an overwhelming task to even know where to begin. There’s so many ideas out there, from rustic chic to modern and elegant to vintage and everything else in between. It can be hard to pinpoint exactly how you want your wedding to look – especially if you’re working on a budget. That’s why we’ve compiled this detailed checklist to help you narrow down your wedding decorations choices and give you a month by month plan of what to do before your big day.
While this list may look overwhelming, choosing your wedding decorations doesn’t have to be. Some of these ideas may not apply to you and that’s ok, just skip the ones that don’t and check off the ones that do!
- Print the checklist and add it to your wedding planning binder.
- Go through the list and cross off any items that aren’t relevant to you.
- Between you and your partner, decide on a budget for your wedding decorations – remember to include everything from large decorations to small items like place cards and table numbers.
- Begin researching wedding color schemes – think of color combinations you love seeing together or search Pinterest for great ideas.
- If you’ve already chosen your wedding flowers, try to fit your color scheme to complement the flowers. Your florist is a great resource to use to help you with this.
- With your budget and overall wedding theme in mind, decide whether you’ll be buying or renting your decorations. This may also depend on the type of venue you’ve chosen as some hotels and golf courses may provide some of the wedding decorations (like table linens) for you.
- If renting your decorations is what you’ve decided to do, then now is the perfect time to start looking at vendors. Don’t just settle on the first wedding decoration company you find either – make sure you ask around and look at all the options available in your area. Some décor companies may have a better selection than others.
If purchasing your decorations is in the cards for you, then now’s the perfect time to start looking. Start by looking in stores for ideas, but don’t underestimate the web as a great place for decorations.Ella Celebration is a wedding decoration website full of beautiful items – whether you’re looking for acake topper,mylar balloons, orrustic wedding guest book, it’s the perfect place to get you started. Remember to also search your local craft stores and department stores – you never know what you might find!
- Depending on your theme, think outside the box from your regular décor shops. You might find the perfect table settings at your local antique store, or the perfect table numbers at a paper shop.
- If you’ve decided to DIY some or all of your wedding decorations, take some time now to set up a Pinterest board full of your ideas. Once you’ve narrowed down exactly what you want to make, set up a schedule to ensure you have enough time to put everything together. The last thing you want to be doing is making last minute decorations the night before your wedding!
- Any DIY wedding decorations should be in the final stages by now. This will give you time to focus on other details of your wedding.
- If you’ve purchased any wedding decorations, go through them and make sure you have everything you need. Store them somewhere dry and safe.
- If you’re renting, this is the time you’ll want to check in with your vendors to make sure everything is set for your big day. Make sure they have all items in stock and make arrangements for pick-up or delivery.
- Ask your venue for a floor plan and draw up a rough idea of where you’d like everything placed.
- Create a mock place setting, centerpiece, overall table setting, cake table, guest book table and any other wedding reception or ceremony decorations you may have. Take a picture of each one and make a list of every item needed for each setting and attach it to the picture. This will help anyone who is helping out with the décor on the day of to know your vision.
- Make sure you have plenty of tape, push pins, string, double-sided tape, staples, staplers, post-it notes, scissors and any other items you may need to attach your wedding decorations at the venue. Make sure you know your venue’s policies on tape and pins as some may have strict rules regarding either one of those things.
- Pack up your wedding decorations in boxes and clearly label them with where they are supposed to go (i.e. guest book table) and attach the picture with the list of items to the box. This will help your bridal party or whoever else you’ve chosen to help you decorate, know exactly where everything should go.
1 Day Before
- Pack your boxes in the car and go over the plan with your helpers. Make notes on your floorplan so that where you want everything is clearly marked. Make sure your helpers understand the floor plan and any of your written notes so there’s no confusion the day of.
Your Wedding Day
- If you weren’t able to take part in the actual decorating, ask someone that you trust (your mom, maid of honor) to take a look for you and tell you what they think.
- As tempting as it may be, try not to look at the wedding decorations until you walk into the reception area. Your decorations will truly come to life when all your guests are there in honor of you and your new beau. As you walk into the venue, take a moment to take it all in and applaud yourself for the beautiful wedding you’ve created.
WEDDING CEREMONY DECORATIONS (FREE PRINTABLES)
- Welcome Sign
- Seating or Ceremony Instructions Sign
- Program Display
- Order of Events Sign
- Aisle Markers
- Aisle Runner
- Aisle Flowers or Decorations
- Ceremony Backdrop
- Vow Books
- Ceremony Materials Table
- Signing table
WEDDING DINNER TABLE DECORATIONS ( FREE PRINTABLES)
- Head Table
- Table Garland
- Table Runner
- Table Numbers
- Place / Seating card holders
- Salad Plate
- Dinner Plate
- Water Glass
- Wine Glass
- Chair covers
- Functional Favors
WEDDING RECEPTION DECORATIONS ( FREE PRINTABLES)
- Welcome sign
- Guest Book Table + Décor Vignette
- Guest Book + Sign
- Gift Table + Décor Vignette
- Cards Receptacle + Sign
- Menu Sign
- Escort Card Display
- Dessert Table + Décor Vignette
- Cake Stand + Topper
- Cake knife and server
- Dessert Displays
- Dessert Table Backdrop
- Bar or Drink Station Display
- Bar Menu or Signature Cocktail List
- Overhead Décor
- Wedding Favor Display
- Photo Booth Backdrop + Props
- Lounge Seating + Side Tables
- Cute Quote Signs
WEDDING CAR DECOR (FREE PRINTABLES)
Wedding decorations truly make your wedding day uniquely you and are a true reflection of your style as a couple. Choosing your wedding decorations doesn’t have to be a difficult or overwhelming task. With this checklist and monthly plan, you’ll have everything you need to plan your wedding décor. Still looking for that perfect wedding favor or cake topper? Look no further thanElla Celebration for all your wedding decoration needs.